THE NEW PENNY MAGAZINE 17 May 1834
St Nicholas Church, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
"This borough, sea-port, and county-town occupies the north bank of the river Tyne, over which there is a handsome stone bridge connecting the place with Gateshead in the neighbouring county of Durham. Newcastle is of great antiquity, and of considerable note in history. ....
The town within and without the walls extends for more than two miles along the river, and about one mile from the river towards the north and north-west, rising along the hill and crowning its summit ..."